**_INTRODUCTION - About Me. About the Project:_****_
Am I a low-level, self-taught HTML coder and I recently pitched for a simple static website. On the strength of this pitch I was shortlisted along with one other company. Since that time, however, the client's IT director has added his own requirements and the project has changed beyond my expertise.
I still want the business and am looking to project manage the client's requirements. I still want to deliver a pleasing solution to the client, on schedule, and to budget.
This is the first time I have worked like this and I'd recommend that anyone who feels uncomfortable with this arrangement should not bid. The downside is that I have little or no experience of the technologies or platforms being discussed here, and so I apologise if the (updated) brief, below, is not as comprehensive as it could be. The upside is that I believe my graphic designer and I can win more of this kind of work; bigger, more profitable projects. Much will depend, however, on how this project goes.
If you are confident in your coding abilities across a range of platforms, are able to accommodate working with someone with a lack of experience, but are excited about the prospect of bigger, more profitable projects in future, then please bid, and **_please ask as many questions ??" in simple English ??" as you want_**. I will pass these to the IT Director, post answers back to you, and together arrive at a clear technical spec which we can all agree to.
I look forward to hearing from you. I look forward to working with you.
* The majority of the content on the site will be presented in HTML
* Site will contain 30 ??" 40 Static information pages of which 10 will have XML template coding for dynamic content generation.
* The site will contain CGI form senders within the main contact page and within the client static detail page to update client contact details etc.
* Possible future development of portal access for leased content from other sites (Should be inbuilt at offset)
* The website will not and has no future intention of accepting online payments for any services.
* It will require a members registration system with automatic forwarding and reply to registrants information.
* The website will contain a password protected area where members can access records.
* The site will access data from a web-based database (MySQL ??" for seamless integration with SQL enterprise edition 2000)
* It will require some custom programming to facilitate sharing of real time data from a live SQL database to MySQL web database. (Pull data only)
* There may later be a requirement for a search facility within the site.
* As far as server side scripting goes, they are very keen to explore the .NET route as they envisage further development with Hosted applications at a later date. If this can be incorporated into a PHP site, then they are happy to hear any proposals. There will of course be Java scripting within some of the 'smart' objects in content from other sites e.g. [[url removed, login to view]]. We may also consider news feeds from FT or SKY.
* They are expecting at least 1000 active members within the first year and up to 500 users logging in at least once a week. They will be encouraging members to revisit their members area by weekly email campaigns.
**I know some of you have already asked me some questions. Thank you for these! They have been very helpful in formulating a tighter technical specification. I have sent them to the client and am awaiting his reply. I am meerting with the client tomorrow, 20th December, [url removed, login to view] GMT. Hopefully I will have more answers for you by then.**
* * *This broadcast message was sent to all bidders on Monday Dec 19, 2005 2:05:52 PM:
Thank you for all the responses to date, especially those who have asked specific questions. I have passed these to the client's IT director who has yet to get back to me.
Please find a slightly updated brief, but also more of an introduction about me and the project in general.
I look forward to receiving more bids, but in particular, I look forward to receiving more of your questions.
I am meeting with the client tomorrow and hope to be extending the bid time on rentacoder.