I'm looking for a contractor to build a small ruby script as an enhancement/plug in to Ruby on Rails app - probably the Rails weblog software Typo.
The script will do the following:
1. Screen scrape one page from a well formatted website
2. Parse out multiple data items with three data points each
3. Compare the current list of data to previous entries in a database (MySQL) to identify - new data, changes, and missing data
4. Store the new data in a database
5. Form a simple weblog post via XML-RPC summarizing data changes
6. Have established tests which the scrip passes in insure functionality
7. Have error catching to prevent erroneous posts and incorrect data, errors should be reported via email.
8. Run on both Linux and Mac OS X 10.3/10.4 systems using current Ruby and Ruby on Rails versions
9. Utilize only easily installable open source libraries
10. Code should be documented, easy to read, and allow modification
I'd like to have this script finished by the end of the year end. Payment of 1/4 of bid will be provided based on reaching each of 3 milestones: parsing the page, capturing the data to the database (identifying changes), publishing weblog post via XML-RPC and the final 1/4 of the bid will be payed on successfully completing requirements of the entire job.
This project requires understanding of web apis, regular expressions, and Ruby libraries. If you are a novice programmer or new to ruby it may take some time but be a wonder paid learning opportunity.
1) Complete and fully-functional working program(s) in executable form as well as complete source code of all work done.
2) Deliverables must be in ready-to-run condition, as follows? (depending on the nature? of the deliverables):
a)? For web sites or? other server-side deliverables intended to only ever exist in one place in the Buyer's environment--Deliverables must be installed by the Seller in ready-to-run condition in the Buyer's environment.
b) For all others including desktop software or software the buyer intends to distribute: A software? installation package that will install the software in ready-to-run condition on the platform(s) specified in this bid request.
3) All deliverables will be considered "work made for hire" under U.S. Copyright law. Buyer will receive exclusive and complete copyrights to all work purchased. (No GPL, GNU, 3rd party components, etc. unless all copyright ramifications are explained AND AGREED TO by the buyer on the site per the coder's Seller Legal Agreement).
4)? Weekly status updates will be provided with current code snapshots.
Mac OS X 10.3/10.4, Current Linux, FreeBSD, Ruby , Lighttpd, and MySQL versions. And only utilize easily installable open source libraries (for example rubyful_soup gem and http-access2).